Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Star-Crossed Slouchy Beret.


(stretched over a plate to block)

The good news: it's GORGEOUS!

The bad news: it's entirely too small for my head.

Some might say that the smallness is kind of a predictable result of using smaller needles than recommended, to which I suppose I can only say "...touche." I'm sure you'll all understand where I was coming from, though: I didn't have the recommended needles but I really really REALLY wanted to start the project right that minute and going out to buy needles is horribly frustrating and makes me grouchy and anyway lots of people on Ravelry said the hat came out big so maybe it would all work out? That thinking + a heavy dose of ongoing denial while knitting means I now sort of look like I'm trying to wear a yarmulke.

What can you do, though? I think I'll probably just donate this to some charity and try again soon with the proper needles. (I may get selfish & frog it for all that beautiful Malabrigo, but of course such soft yarn doesn't really hold up to frogging well, so I'm not sure that's a good idea.) Live & learn. The pattern is beautiful, easy, and quick -- not one I'll mind repeating.

In other news, I leave for Toronto early tomorrow morning!!!

4 comments:

Shorty said...

The hat lucks great!

Have fun in Toronto.

Happy Thanksgiving.

S.

Teresa said...

Are you sure sure sure that it's too small? I only ask because I knit myself two berets that I wore for a couple weeks, only to have them stretch out so much that I need to add elastic on the inside brim to make them wearable again.

If not, I believe you are quite generous to donate it!

Larjmarj said...

I believe it will stretch...

Grace said...

This is really funny - because just three days ago I finished my own SSB, and I also used needles too small... I used 10 1/2s because I was in the middle of another hat on my 11s and needed a hat to wear to sing at a tree lighting ceremony with my choir.
It's miniscule. It fits pretty snug like a regular hat, but doesn't cover my ears, which sort of defeats the purpose. Ah well.

Therefore I feel your pain. Very specifically.