Thursday, November 22, 2007

Woohoo!

So it's Thanksgiving and guests are due to arrive in 5 minutes or so, meaning I do not even have time to be on the internet--but that's never stopped me before! I just have to make a quick & triumphant post to tell you that, since I'm still having no luck on the DPN front, I decided to give Magic Loop knitting a try instead (some people on Ravelry have made Fetching using that method, so I figure I can too). I only had to watch the KnittingHelp.com video once to completely get it! I practiced with some random stash yarn and did several rounds quickly and now have something that could almost be a finger to a glove, if it wanted to be.

Don't you love the feeling of learning a new technique? It makes me feel ridiculously brilliant, even if it's something really simple. :)

The only problem I'm having with this is that you have to pull the first & last stitches on each needle super-tight to avoid gaps, but I'm pulling them so tight I'm having trouble sliding them up the needles! I need to work on finding a balance for that, but I think I'm halfway there. I'll just practice a bit more tonight and then cast on for Fetching in the very near future! WOOHOO!

Okay, there's more to say, but I should probably go pay attention to my family or something. I'm really excited for my aunt to get here because I'm going to help her put some pictures on Ravelry + set up her own crocheting blog! Have a happy Thanksgiving, everyone!!

4 comments:

Diane said...

Trying this again, I posted a comment and it went into cyperspace somewhere.

Anyway, congrats on trying the magic loop! I've not tried that one yet.

Hope you had a nice Thanksgiving and had fun on Ravelry with your aunt!

Larjmarj said...

Ohhh.........won't be long my young Padawan before we bring you to the dark side of sock knitting.....MUUwwwAAAAHHaaHaaaa!!!!!

yoli said...

Magic loop? I've heard of it, but will admit that since I've (sort of) gotten DPNs to submit to my will, I really haven't looked into it. Now you're making me all curious! But insofar as the pulling thing goes, it gets almost naturalish? You sort of forget that you're even doing it after you get into the swing of it!

Leeann said...

Thanks Diane! We had a great holiday. :)

Marj: I know this is going to sound super-blasphemous, but....I'm not that interested in sock knitting...yet. I think "yet" might be a keyword there, though, because just a few years ago I thought I'd never bother with anything more complicated than a scarf and now look at me. And with such bad influences as you & our other knit night pals, it's probably only a matter of time, huh?

Yoli: I'm not sure you would really have reason to give Magic Loop a shot if you've got DPNs down, but I would say that ML strikes me as much more portable than DPNs could possibly be, so if that's an issue for you you might want to check it out. And I found that, once I got going on my glove, you were 100% right about the pulling thing. :)