Monday, November 26, 2007

I mean, who doesn't love penguins?

Making the second fingerless glove right after the first one seemed a little too boring (such is the danger of doing things in pairs, I suppose), so even though I've cast on & knit a good deal of it, I also decided to cast on for something else yesterday. Not only did it relieve my boredom, but I'm getting started on my absurdly ambitious Holiday Knitting!

I had some doubts as to whether I should post about this here, and I do think I'll keep pictures of most of my holiday gifts under wraps until after they're given, just in case the recipients should stumble across my blog (or Flickr or Ravelry). In this case, though, I think that's exceedingly unlikely, so let me show you what I'm making one of my best friends:





A penguin! From this pattern. Easy & quick & awesome so far (though I'm not looking forward to all the finishing), plus I learned how to do short rows! They're kind of magical, even though I suck at picking up the wraps later, so mine look a little funky. Whatever, I still found it stupidly exciting to create something so 3-dimensional on straight needles. Most importantly, the dude I'm giving this to will love it...or I'm like 99% sure he will, anyway.

Also, I love how my penguin folder is in the background of that first picture. I love that folder. I don't think I'd had a folder with anything on it since like 2nd grade, but somehow now that I'm a junior in college I've started to see the appeal. It makes me smile every day and that is definitely a good thing.

Other than that, I picked up the yarn for my boyfriend's Christmas gift (Dashing) over the weekend and he claims he finally sent me the rest of the yarn for my vest today. I will believe it when I see it, but I'm thinking that my threat worked. :)

5 comments:

Larjmarj said...

Short rows are magical...so are threats ;-)

yoli said...

wait, short rows like in sock heels short rows? BECAUSE THAT'S THE ONLY THING KEEPING ME FROM O.D.ING ON SOCKS!! *swoons*

I also really like Brian's gift.

Diane said...

OMG, that's turning out great! I can't wait to see the finished product. It's fun to make different things on occasion, keeps it interesting.

Kenna M. Kettrick said...

teeeach me shoooort roooows! i am so confused.

Kenna M. Kettrick said...

...aaand i should mention this is the same person as elanor2 from lj. :)