Monday, November 19, 2007

Frustration!

I'm eager to get started on Fetching, so I tried learning how to use double-pointed needles last night (primarily from a video at KnittingHelp.com). I watched the video a few times before actually attempting to follow along, and I was completely convinced it would be a piece of cake. I was horribly, horribly wrong! The end result was a lot of swearing and being poked by the stupid pointy needles and having to rip out the stitches & try again like 60 times (...or like 5 times, but it felt like 60). It seemed like every time I finished a round (and I never finished more than one whole one without some kind of disaster occurring), I was knitting the tube inside-out, somehow, even though I really couldn't tell where I was going wrong. How do people do this?!? As far as I can tell you need at least 4 hands and a lot more patience than I've got.

I really need to learn, though, because there are so many great patterns out there that demand DPN's. How did you guys learn, then? Are there any really wonderful tutorials out there? (I've looked around a bit, but most of them just seem to contradict each other & only confuse me further.) Or should I just wait & ask my aunt to show me next time I see her, despite how impatient I am to start?

4 comments:

fluffybunnylover said...

Although I have yet to learn how to use DPNs, I'm assuming it is like everything else in knitting and it will just take practice. Perhaps we will be tortured, I mean learn, together.

Anonymous said...

I remember first learning, and hating it sooo much (I still hate starting anything on DPNs) because there was way too much stuff going everywhere! If you can get it to start inside-out, then why not go for it? You can flip it when you've got a bit more knitting on the needles and then voila! Knitting right-side out (or so I think it'd go). But yes, seeing someone do this helps a LOT. Good luck!

Larjmarj said...

You could always ask..............Me! I'd be happy to help you out. I learned out of a basic sock book. Try knittinghelp.com or even You Tube it....

Thanks for the cookies!

Diane said...

You'll get the hang of it. I felt like all thumbs at first, now I don't even think about it. I think I know what you mean about the inside out thing, I'd have to see it and let you know if it's the same thing that happened to me. Everything was OK.

The cookies were great, thanks!