Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Jonesin' for a yarn fix.

My history class was canceled today! This is the best news I've heard in a while, since there was no way I was going to get everything done in time for it. So am I using the extra time to catch up? Of course not! I used it to sleep in and now I'm using it to post here and with any luck I might get some real work done before I leave for my other class, but let's not count on it.

So, I'm in a really sad knitting slump at the moment. My main project is this glorious sweater vest from Knitty. I've been working on it for over a month! This is not because I'm a particularly slow knitter, but because I'm bad at math and planning. Meaning I didn't buy quite enough yarn. And I bought the yarn while I was on vacation. Yeah, kind of a disastrous situation--except that my boyfriend happens to live near the LYS where I purchased this (Joseph's Coat in Missoula, Montana), and he kindly went back up there just a couple days after I left and bought me a new skein from the same dye lot and everything. This would be perfect if only he'd just send me the damn thing already. I've been waiting patiently (or not) for weeks now, and at this rate I think he'll just bring it home with him for Thanksgiving (and then, I bet, he'll have the nerve to be upset when I want to knit with it instead of paying attention to him!).

It's not like I can really complain too much, since I'm the worst person in the world at sending packages ever. If you're one of the 9 zillion people I've been promising mail for months on end, you know I'm not kidding. But I've been so good to him! Just last week he got fresh muffins & cookies & roasted pumpkin seeds & pressed leaves & copies of local articles I thought he'd like & a bunch of other crap. And yet I languish without my yarn... :(

Um, anyway, my original 3 skeins took me up to where I needed to break off for the neckline, which is knit from two different balls. I sadly decided to work on holiday scarves for a week or so, but the vest wouldn't stop calling my name and last weekend I split what was left of the 3rd skein into 2 balls & happily knit some of the neckline. This was just a few rows ago:


(The flash really washed out the colors, but you can see the stitches better this way.)

And now, my friends, I am within 2 inches of finishing the front side and I am out of yarn. Woe is me! I seriously miss it (and I bet I'll miss it even more when I'm all the way done). I could probably keep going about how in love I am with this vest (did I mention it's my first garment and my first try at cables and that I love it?), but this is long enough already & I did want to at least glance in the general direction of my homework...

1 comment:

Larjmarj said...

Grrr...to be thwarted so close to the finish. It's going to look great when it's done.