Saturday, March 1, 2008

Vacation photos & FO's!

Hi everyone! Sorry for the long absence. I only just got back the other day from my lovely week in Montana and I have lots to share! It was an absolutely beautiful trip and you can see all my best pictures from it here. Here are previews of some of my very favorite ones:

In every picture of me in that album, I am wearing something I knit! That's partly because I stayed up very late the night before my flight seaming the right sleeve on my green cropped cardigan so I'd be able to wear it during my trip. Here I am wearing it (and my Calorimetry!) on the first evening:




And here are some closer views:

P1060029 P1060030


I didn't have time to make a button loop or sew a button on before my flight, but now I've gotten so used to wearing it open like a shrug that I'm not sure I'll bother. I did buy a beautiful bone button for it at a bead shop in Missoula, though:

P1060034


The cardigan got a lot of wear & many compliments during my stay, but I definitely needed something to keep the chill off my neck, so I cast on for a little neck-warmer during my layover in Denver. A few days later I had this:

P1050909


Here's a closer shot, enthusiastically modeled by my poor cat Bob:
P1060020


And one last close-up with the button:
P1060038


I love the way the stitch pattern works with the subtle variations in the yarn! The pattern is here but I skipped the buttonholes because I couldn't settle on where to place them. Instead, I've just been shoving the one button through one of the naturally occurring holes in the stitch pattern. It works well enough like that. The only thing I dislike at all about this is how horribly it rolls. I knew it would but I was definitely in denial -- if I make this again, you bet there'll be a garter stitch border. As for this one, I'm hoping blocking or maybe crocheting the edges will help.

Of course I also bought yarn & started a souvenir scarf in Missoula, but I'll tell you all about that once I've finished it &/or taken some good pictures. For now I'm trying to catch up on all the blog posts I missed and I'll definitely be making some cookies later in the day. Have a great weekend, everyone!

5 comments:

Shorty said...

I'm sooo glad you had a great trip! But I'm also selfish enough to admit that I'm glad you're back. You have been missed. I can't wait to see what's on your needles.

Welcome back!!!

Grazie Mom said...

OMG--Montana is gorgeous!! Seriously though, is it warm enough to be in short sleeves there already? If so I'm packing my bags.

Larjmarj said...

Looks like you had a great time. Your boyfriend is making me very nervous sitting on the edge of that mountain.

Love the shrug and the button. Neck warmer is too cute. Love the color. What yarn?

BTW...our Tuesday's have been moved to Panera bread across the street on account of a change in the hours at Caribou.

Hasbu said...

Gorgeous pictures!

Your cardi looks great and the neck warmer is very cute. I'm sure crocheting the edges will help with the rolling.

Amy said...

What lovely earrings you're wearing in that one photo! Wherever did you get them?