Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Gorgeous Yarn!

So I finished my Montana Scarf over the weekend but I don't have any good pictures of it yet -- I never seem to think of it until it's dark, and the few I've tried in the sunlight are just unacceptably crappy. I also can't show you pictures of the hat I knit for a friend over the weekend (not until I send it to him, anyway), and the Felted iPod Cozy I started yesterday is too boring to warrant photographing at this point (picture a green stockinette tube & you've got it). But I can make up for this lack of FO/WIP photos with some seriously beautiful yarn:

P1060092

P1060091
Are you drooling yet? That's 2 skeins of Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sport in Watercolor.

P1060103

P1060104
And this is 2 skeins of Claudia Hand-Painted Fingering Merino Wool in Caribbean Blue.

So, reason #230483240238 why you should join a knitting group in your area? Because if you say on your blog that you want to get started on socks, incredibly beautiful sock yarn might just come your way! Seriously, how lucky am I? The wonderful S. of Short N Crafty Sista read about my interest in socks & gathered up a whole bag of sock yarn that had green in it, since she needed to destash & doesn't care for green. I got to pick the two delicious yarns pictured above (an excruciatingly tough choice, by the way, since there were several other beautiful options), and everyone else got to take the rest. There aren't even any words for how grateful I am for this, but it definitely made my week!

I was up wayyyy too late last night trying to find suitable patterns for these. My first socks should probably be pretty simple, I figure, but I also want patterns worthy of these incredible yarns. I've pretty much ignored sock patterns up until now, so "overwhelmed" doesn't begin to cover how I feel looking through them now! There are so many! I'm starting to narrow it down, though, and hopefully I can start soon. I still need to get some of those tiny little sock needles, though -- I was going to run out & buy some today, but I think I might try to be patient and order some KnitPicks needles soon instead, since there are a few sizes I need for upcoming projects.

I did go yarn shopping over the weekend, too! I picked up some Berocco Peruvia in Maroon. (I almost went for green but I'm trying to branch out colorwise.) I'm using it on my aran weight version of Ysolda Teague's Cloud Bolero (Ravelry link). I am insanely nervous about this pattern, since I've never really done lace before, and I fully expect to make 10,000 stupid mistakes and have to restart it more than once. So far, though, it's going decently (knock on wood). I started it last night and have only moved through 10 or so rows, but it looks impressively lacy & lovely and I'm very excited about it!

3 comments:

Shorty said...

I am so glad I could enable you into a new area of knitting. And I can't wait to see what your creative mind decides to make next.

Enjoy!

S.

yoli said...

Are you thinking of getting the Options or Harmony kits? I've heard they're pretty good for magic looping and lace and am therefore tempted... :/

But OH MY GOOODNESS THAT YARN, OH MY AL;SJDFLDSKAJ;FLK You'd best be knitting with it soon! I think even a stockinette sock would be wonderful in it, the colors would really get to stand out against the simplicity of the stitch!

Larjmarj said...

Yay! another sock knitter joins the ranks.

Love the colors!

The array of patterns can be overwhelming. Start a binder now ;-)