Thursday, July 24, 2008

I actually finished something!

For the first time in months, I have an FO to share! It's that cowl I mentioned last time, and I think it might be the first of many cowls for me. To be honest I've always had somewhat mixed feelings about them. I never see anyone wearing one in real life, and many of the pictures I've seen on Ravelry make them look kind of awkward to wear. A couple months ago I was pretty sure I would never make or wear one, but then one of my favorite knit-bloggers, Lolly, went on something of a crazy cowl-making spree and I found myself more & more intrigued. Finally she shared her Sherbrooke cowl pattern/recipe and as soon as I got that gorgeous Mountain Colors yarn I knew they were a match made in heaven!

P1070042
The yarn is Mountain Colors Mountain Goat in Juniper. As always, full project details are on Ravelry!


The pattern was easy as pie, the kind of thing you could knock off in a day or two if you wanted to. I, of course, only knit on it once or twice a week, never for more than a couple minutes at a time, so it took me a little longer. The pattern recommends making the cowl 16" long so it can be stretched up over the head like a hood. My first thought was, "God, that would look really dorky" but my second thought was, "I live in Michigan, anything that might keep my ears warm is a good idea." So I was going to go for the full length, but last night I tried it on at about 10" or so and realized I wanted it much shorter. I frogged back to about 6.5" and that seems to be a perfect length for me. I can fold it over itself once and it looks really smooth and nice, or I can unfold it and have it look sorta wrinkly and floppy and cozy. Either way it's wonderfully warm and I know I'm going to wear it to death once it gets cold out!

P1070050

I do have to say that the yarn is a little itchy, which I didn't even notice until now. I think I was too smitten with the color to even think about how it felt.

Aunt Andrea and I are going yarn-shopping this weekend, so hopefully I'll have another new project to share soon! Or, you know, I could finish the hat that's been sitting untouched for two months, but...yeah, I'll probably just start another cowl or some socks!

2 comments:

Larjmarj said...

I love your cowl! I made the moebius one and wear it a lot.

I refuse to think about winter at the moment.....no...no...no....

ColorJoy LynnH said...

Lovely. I think I need some cowls, too. One of my musician friends has one and she looks fab wearing it on stage in chilly weather.

As for the itchiness... consider putting it through a cream rinse/hair conditioner after washing it well. You may find that helps. No way to know until you try. Some mohair is itchy even to me (at least on my neck and upper chest), and I can tolerate almost anything. But give it a rinse before you give up!

LynnH