Friday, January 18, 2008

Finally FO: Dashing!

Today was a sad day. My boyfriend Brian is heading back to Montana for the semester, so I hurried up and finished his very belated Christmas gift. It's something he'll use a lot there, hopefully to keep his hands warm while talking to me on the phone!

P1050529

The thumbs are still mildly disastrous, but in a way I can live with. I think if/when I make these again I'll do a more traditional thumb gusset instead of this afterthought thing -- not only would I probably find that easier, but I saw pictures somewhere of Dashing done that way and I liked the look much better, too. The surprising part is how ridiculously WARM these keep you! I wore them around while waiting for Brian to show up this morning and they kept me much warmer than Fetching usually does. I think it's all that extra length. I might need to make myself a pair at some point, but for now I'm happy that Brian likes his so much. Here's a blurry shot of him modeling them somewhat reluctantly:
P1050538
"Please don't put this on Facebook."
"Oh, this isn't for Facebook, it's for my knitting blog!"
*sigh*

With any luck I'll be visiting him out there next month. Accordingly, I am planning on knitting myself lots of warm woolly stuff! All I'm working on now is the cardigan, which feels strange. I thought my Ravelry was lying to me, but it's true: I only have one wip. This will not last, trust me.

In other news, I MISS KNIT NIGHT SO MUCH!! I haven't been in thousands of years, mainly due to car issues. I'm hoping I can make it out next Tuesday because I miss everyone like crazy. The good news, though, is that I don't have class on Tuesdays this semester, so I can come directly from home and maybe even bring my wonderful little sister along! I'm looking forward to that.

Speaking of my knit night pals, Marj left me a very kind present at her blog the other day. :) I'll be doing a similar list in my next post!

Finally, I have a somewhat stupid question about knitting books. Are they like other books, in that I can expect a paperback to come out someday if one is only out in hardcover now? Or do I have to suck it up and accept the expensive hardcover edition (and by "accept," I probably mean "check out from the library")? I'm just wondering because I came across some great ones last night but they were all hardcover & therefore like $30. :-\

I did get myself one crafty book, though: the Stitch & Bitch crochet book! Hopefully my beloved Aunt Andrea (a.k.a. the Crochet Crusader) will be proud of me. I'm still more or less counting on her to teach me, but maybe I can learn a few of the basics from the book. There are also a lot of really excellent patterns in there, so I'm glad I picked it up!

6 comments:

Shorty said...

Your Dashings look great. I love the color. I think you have inspired me to get off my butt and make a pair.

We miss you too! Knit Night is not the same without you there. Hope you'll be back soon. If you ever want a ride, give me a call, I'll gladly pick you up.

S.

Anika said...

those look great! & they look really nice on Brian too. I love the knitting blog sigh, haha.

and I've wanted that happy hooker book for so long - I should seriously suck it up and buy it at some point. :]

Larjmarj said...

The Dashings look great and Brian looks really happy to be wearing them. He will probably be even happier out there in the wilds of Montana with the cold wind whipping.

We miss you at Knit Night too!!

Books cheaper, check eBay or sometimes Amazon will have gently used books, even recently published ones. Also Knit Picks will have book sales from time to time, sign up for their e-newsletter.

Diane said...

Your Fetching turned out great, I can't see anything wrong with the thumbs, they can be a pain in the butt. I love his hat! Did you make it?

I miss you at knit night too! Hope you can come back soon.

Hasbu said...

Dashings look great! I love the color.

I haven't seen many paperback knitting books and I have a quite large collection of knitting books. I usually buy at book sales but if I want something *very much*, I just spend the money on it... scares me to think how much money I've invested in knitting books.

Tina said...

The Dashings turned out beautifully. I have a pair of fetchings but I always forget to wear them.