Tuesday, January 8, 2008

50 Cookies in 2008: #1, Chocolate Chip!

Some of you might remember that my plan for 2008 involved trying every cookie recipe on the 50 Best Cookie Recipes on the Internet list. I've decided to modify that slightly: this year I'm going to make at least 50 different kinds of cookies to blog about here, but the recipes can come from wherever. A lot of them will still be from that list, but thinking over it today I realized that there are definitely a handful of recipes on there that don't appeal to me, and, more importantly, lots elsewhere that really do.

I think this idea will be an interesting challenge for me not because of the number of cookies (I'd be very surprised if I baked cookies fewer than 50 times in '07), but because of the variety. As anyone who knows me can probably attest, I like to stick to things I know I like. Nearly every time I bake I'm just repeating a recipe I've done before. There's nothing wrong with that, but with all the other ones out there I don't want to miss out! Also, it will be interesting to see how this works out with one of my many other goals for the year, which is, of course, to eat healthier. :)

I decided to kick off the baking year with a classic: chocolate chip cookies. What could be more simple or more perfect?

Recipe: Absolutely the Best Chocolate Chip Cookies (from the 50 Best Cookie Recipes list)

Modifications: The recipe calls for butter-flavored shortening but I definitely did not listen to them on that one and went for good old-fashioned butter-flavored butter. I have this aversion to shortening that I can't quite explain -- something about it just grosses me out severely. I thought it maybe resulted from not exactly knowing what it is, so I looked it up but the Wikipedia entry definitely didn't make it sound any more appealing...plus I didn't have any, so butter it was.

Review: The only thing I didn't like about this was the way the cookies spread out during baking, but that very well may not have happened had I used shortening as was recommended, so maybe the recipe isn't even to blame. Other than that, I really can't complain: they were quick and easy to make and the flavor & texture are perfect. My little brother said they were "great," which is pretty high praise coming from a 13-year-old boy. Also, the recipe says it yields 24 but I made many more than that even though about half of them were on the large side. I can see myself using this one again, though next time I'll be sure to stir in some chopped walnuts & other delicious add-ins.

So, not a bad start to the project! Any cookie recipes you think I should try while I'm at it? Please share your favorites -- I'm especially interested in making a good chunk of these vegan and I would definitely consider gluten-free recipes, too, since I know so many people who are allergic.

Also, my 21st birthday is coming up! I'm having a party Saturday and am tempted to bake something really extravagant for it, plus I could use any & all good party food recipes (salads, appetizers, etc.), so please suggest away! Also if you live nearby & want to come to the party, just email me for details. :)

4 comments:

Alex H said...

those cookies look delicious!

and I agree about the shortening. it looks like vaseline

I actually put a gluten-free bread mix back on the shelf because it called for shortening. haha! see?

Shorty said...

Those cookies look sooooo good.

Happy Early Birthday! Hope you can make it out next Tuesday. We missed you this evening.

Larjmarj said...

I'm licking my screen, doesn't taste good.

You know me, I'm always up for snickerdoodles.

HAPPY BD!!!!! WOO HOO!

Hope to see you next week if I'm still well.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for linking ot my list! I make those cookies with only butter as well, and should have noted that...Shortening is...eww.
Love your site.. I spin and work with fiber as well, so it is fun reading your posts...blessings!