Saturday, May 17, 2008

Cloud Bolero: SO much better!

I ripped out that silly picot edging and did garter stitch instead:

P1060472 P1060480


I think garter was what I was originally planning when I started this 8 million years ago, but some Ravelers had such cute picot-edged versions that I guess I forgot. Anyway, yesterday a very helpful commenter suggested that garter would help tone down the flaring at the bottom without me needing to do any shaping (thanks!). It definitely did help. The loose fit still bothers me a little, but only a little. Overall I really like this!

I'll probably make another someday, with sleeves, but this one is really great for throwing over tank tops or sundresses. I'd love to find a nice brooch to fasten it at the top, but for now wearing it open is fine too.

The pattern is pretty great but I hated the way it was written & had some real trouble following it -- of course, a lot of that was probably just the fact that it was my first lace project. The thing that bothered me the most was that she has you cast on extra stitches to fill the gap created by binding off the sleeve stitches. Maybe it's just the way I did it, but it makes the underarm area of my sweater look horrible and just sort of adds unnecessary bulk to an already loose-fitting garment. So, next time around I'll be skipping that part. Still, I think the designer is a genius and I want to make more of her stuff soon! She has some great hats and I'm developing a slight hat obsession right now. :)

4 comments:

Shorty said...

Why are you torturing me. It's gorgeous, and it's purple. Not fair! Not fair at all!

Looks great L.. Keep the projects coming. I'm so enjoying your knitting.

Hasbu said...

Leeann, very cute! Definitely better without the picot edge.

Sorry that I haven't been around commenting, things have been insanely busy around here. I was very sorry to hear about you and your BF breaking up.

Ashe said...

Hey Leeann,

I just wanted to let you know that you had won one of the two copies of "Sew U: Home Stretch" at Dramatis Personae!

Congratulations!

If you have a chance, send me a shipping address at:
Ashe [dot] Mischief [at] gmail [dot] com

Larjmarj said...

Much better, good call and don't you look babe-a-licious in it! Very saucy. Yes, that's the word.