Monday, December 24, 2007

Disaster!

So apparently in the hat pattern I'm using, "M" stands not for "medium," but for "really really small." Yeah, not a lot of logic to it, but that's the only conclusion I can really draw, because I just knit this hat again for my brother, going up a size, and, uh, it still seems way too small. It looked fine until I sewed up the seam just now and it became rapidly and horribly apparent that it was just going to be WAY too little. (Oh, look, yet another argument for knitting everything in the round!) AHHHH!!! It's definitely Christmas Eve, what on earth should I do?! I'm so undecided. I know I could make another in a night if I had to, but I kinda have lots else to do, too...

Wait, I just showed it to my mom and then my step-dad tried it on and it more or less fit him (though it looked terrible), so if it can stretch over his head maybe it will fit my brother too? I hope? Oh god. This is why I should be MUCH less of a horrible procrastinator. My sister did say that my brother has an abnormally small head, but I think she's just trying to make me feel better.

Alright, I'm just gonna give it to him & hope for the best. If he dislikes anything about it I'll just knit up a new one, no big deal. I'm going to make him a CD, too, I think, so that his only gift isn't a lame potentially-too-small hat...

See, this is why I have this blog, so I have somewhere to turn in times of crisis!

Anyway, Merry Christmas everyone!!

2 comments:

Diane said...

Good luck with the hat! I've made 2 that are really small, but they are so stretchy, that when the person is wearing them they are fine. They are both 2 x 2 rib. What kind of pattern is your hat?

Larjmarj said...

Take a deep breath, don't panic. Like you said, if it's too small a replacement can always be knit up. Knitting hats, rule of thumb for me has always been 70 to 80 stitches small, 90-110 medium and anything above that is a medium to large, usually on a 7 or 8 needle. Like Diane said, 2x2 rib REALLY stretches. Very forgiving.

Merry X-mas!!!