Sunday, October 26, 2008

Tasty Pumpkin Muffins!

I made the best muffins tonight! I might try to perfect the recipe later but here it is for now (it's basically a variation on the aforementioned pear bread recipe):
Pumpkin Muffins!
  • 3 cups flour (I used half whole wheat & half all-purpose)
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
  • pinch of nutmeg
  • generous pinch of allspice
  • 1 cup chopped walnuts
  • 3/4 cup butter, softened
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 cups granulated sugar
  • 2 cups pumpkin puree
  • splash vanilla extract

Mix together the flour, baking soda & power, salt, and spices in a large bowl. In another bowl combine the butter, eggs, sugar, pumpkin, and vanilla. Stir until well combined, then add to the flour mixture, stirring just until batter is evenly moist. Fold in the nuts.

Pour batter into prepared muffin tins and bake at 350ยบ for about 25-35 minutes, until muffins are brown & crisp on the top and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

(For the sugar this time I used a combination of Sucanat, brown, and white sugar because we were running out of white sugar. Then, of course, I discovered a whole new bag of it in the back of the pantry. Still, I'd like to try these with only Sucanat someday, I think it might work well (and be better for you). Also my pumpkin puree didn't come to quite two cups, but it was close. I'd also like to try substituting grated apples &/or pears for part of the pumpkin sometime.)
Go make these now & serve them with some good apple cider. They're the most perfect autumn muffins I've had so far.

2 comments:

Teresa said...

Thanks so much for the recipe! I love pumpkin everything - it's like wrapping myself in autumn (which I totally love).

Kenna M. Kettrick said...

mmmm, nom nom nom! i am so thrilled!

do you think this would work as a loaf? i get impatient with muffin tins. :(